Civilian Crime Stoppers
There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of well documented cases, in which armed civilians managed to prevent or stop criminals or terrorists from perpetrating a crime.
As police generally need at least minutes to arrive at a crime scene – after they are alerted that is, which can generally only occur after one has survived the initial attack – allowing reliable, trained and law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self defence would enable them to be their own first line of defence.
Criminals and terrorists do not care for gun laws and as such will always have an advantage over unarmed, law-abiding citizens, that could easily lead to injury or death for their victims.
In most situations, the mere threat of a firearm is already enough to dissuade an attacker from carrying on with his attack and scare him off – thus preventing violence or even death.
Criminal runs over pedestrian and attacks him with knife (graphic content!)
This video from Israel shows a Palestinian attacker first running over a pedestrian with his vehicle and then continuing to assault him with a knife.
The attack only ends when an armed civilian arrives on the scene and uses his handgun to neutralise the attacker.
Defensive Gun Uses on Reddit:
- [2019/01/15] Jasper County (TX) a boy fired gunshots into ground to protect mother
- [2019/01/15] Raleigh (NC) a man shot in home invasion
- [2019/01/14] Suspected robber shot by employee at MetroPCS (Jacksonville, FL)
- [2019/01/14] Motorcycle club member pointed gun at guards before they shot and killed him (Tacoma, WA)
- [2019/01/15] Pastor injured, man charged after shootout at north Shelby County (TN) home
- [2019/01/10] Woman shoots mixed-breed pit bull after it was 'acting aggressively' in Romeoville (IL)
- [Various] The Armed Citizen® January 14, 2019
- [2019/01/14] Prosecutor says woman 'justified' in killing man who charged her near Spirit Lake (ID)
- [2019/01/14] Interior Alaska homeowner confronts teen burglary suspect, fires shot (North Pole, AK)
- [2019/01/13] Man killed over football bet in Delray Beach (FL)
- [2019/01/14] Attempted robbery victim tells police he shot suspect (Dayton, OH)
- [2019/01/13] Columbia County (AR) homeowner shoots man trying to steal trailer from property
- [2019/01/13] Attempted robbery suspect shot in Dayton (OH)
- [2019/01/12] Man shot after trying to rob Canton (MD) liquor store
- [2019/01/11] 90-year-old Homeowner Shot Intruder in the Leg (Berlin Twp., PA)
“Enter: Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming. Each state enacted permitless carry in 2003, 2010, and 2011, respectively. And according to data from the FBI’s “Crime in the United States” report, it’s clear that none of the aforementioned states experienced an increase in the number of murders — including handgun murders — after enacting permitless carry.” (June 2017) Source: https://medium.com/@NRA/why-you-dont-need-to-freak-out-over-permitless-carry-1a3709355897?sf85564039=1...
Some evidence suggests that permit-holding is increasing about 75% more quickly among minorities than among whites.” Crime Prevention Research Center, May 2017 Source: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170526/concealed-carrying-hits-new-high-underscores-need-for-national-law...
A concealed carrier in Memphis, TN came to the aid of a robbery victim who had already been beaten to the ground by the suspect. The armed good Samaritan drew his handgun on the robber who immediately stopped his attack and fled in a vehicle. Nothing was stolen from the victim. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/24/armed-good-samaritan-runs-off-terrified-robber/?sf72938684=1...
An unidentified Nashville, TN man successfully defended himself and others during a sneaker store robbery. He managed to hit and scare off all three armed robbers with his handgun after they stormed into the store without warning and opened fire. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/21/nashville-gunfighter-takes-three-armed-robbers-single-handedly/?sf72262385=1...
A Glendale, AZ man managed to get a hold of his handgun after he was attacked by two men with a hammer and succeeded in scaring them off by threatening them with the firearm. (March 2017) Source: http://www.abc15.com/news/crime/police-glendale-victim-with-gun-scares-off-suspect-with-hammer?sf59915364=1...
This Washington Post article cites 12 cases in which armed civilians (not police officers) either stopped or prevented mass shootings with their own concealed carry firearm. Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/...