Civilian Crime Stoppers
There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of well documented cases, in which armed civilians managed to prevent or stop criminals or terrorists from perpetrating a crime.
As police generally need at least minutes to arrive at a crime scene – after they are alerted that is, which can generally only occur after one has survived the initial attack – allowing reliable, trained and law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self defence would enable them to be their own first line of defence.
Criminals and terrorists do not care for gun laws and as such will always have an advantage over unarmed, law-abiding citizens, that could easily lead to injury or death for their victims.
In most situations, the mere threat of a firearm is already enough to dissuade an attacker from carrying on with his attack and scare him off – thus preventing violence or even death.
Criminal runs over pedestrian and attacks him with knife (graphic content!)
This video from Israel shows a Palestinian attacker first running over a pedestrian with his vehicle and then continuing to assault him with a knife.
The attack only ends when an armed civilian arrives on the scene and uses his handgun to neutralise the attacker.
Defensive Gun Uses on Reddit:
- [2021/06/18] Killen (AL) man severely injured during home invasion
- [2021/06/17] Vicksburg (MS) woman comes home to find intruder, shoots him
- [Various] The Armed Citizen® June 18, 2021
- [2021/06/18] Potential legal fallout unclear for Fargo (ND) robbery victim who shot at fleeing suspect
- [2021/06/19] Suspected robber killed in shootout at west Birmingham (AL) auto repair shop
- [2021/06/18] Driver shoots man who forced him to stop, pulled him from vehicle (Atlanta, GA)
- [2021/06/19] Dog shot in Lackawanna County (PA)
- [2021/06/19] Security Guard Shoots Man Who Pulled Gun When Asked To Pay For Snacks At West Englewood Gas Station (Chicago, IL)
- [2021/06/03] Critical Incident Briefing: Officer-involved Shooting 15th Ave. and Camelback Rd. (Phoenix, AZ)
- [2021/06/16] Nashville (TN) Kroger security guard fires gun after being shot with a flare gun, suspect at large
- [2021/06/04] The unknown victim and two other unknown black males had broken into his neighbor’s residence and as they were leaving one of them fired multiple rounds towards the subject. The subject then returned gunfire and struck the victim. (Dallas, TX)
- [2021/06/14] Driver arms himself, stops carjacking on St. Charles Ave. (New Orleans, LA)
- [2021/06/14] Four juveniles arrested in latest large fight at Kings Island (Warren County, OH)
- [2021/06/14] Teen attempted carjacking suspect among three shot in Oakland (CA)
- [2021/06/14] Homeowner shoots, kills suspect in Enterprise (AL) burglary
“Enter: Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming. Each state enacted permitless carry in 2003, 2010, and 2011, respectively. And according to data from the FBI’s “Crime in the United States” report, it’s clear that none of the aforementioned states experienced an increase in the number of murders — including handgun murders — after enacting permitless carry.” (June 2017) Source: https://medium.com/@NRA/why-you-dont-need-to-freak-out-over-permitless-carry-1a3709355897?sf85564039=1...
Some evidence suggests that permit-holding is increasing about 75% more quickly among minorities than among whites.” Crime Prevention Research Center, May 2017 Source: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170526/concealed-carrying-hits-new-high-underscores-need-for-national-law...
A concealed carrier in Memphis, TN came to the aid of a robbery victim who had already been beaten to the ground by the suspect. The armed good Samaritan drew his handgun on the robber who immediately stopped his attack and fled in a vehicle. Nothing was stolen from the victim. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/24/armed-good-samaritan-runs-off-terrified-robber/?sf72938684=1...
An unidentified Nashville, TN man successfully defended himself and others during a sneaker store robbery. He managed to hit and scare off all three armed robbers with his handgun after they stormed into the store without warning and opened fire. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/21/nashville-gunfighter-takes-three-armed-robbers-single-handedly/?sf72262385=1...
A Glendale, AZ man managed to get a hold of his handgun after he was attacked by two men with a hammer and succeeded in scaring them off by threatening them with the firearm. (March 2017) Source: http://www.abc15.com/news/crime/police-glendale-victim-with-gun-scares-off-suspect-with-hammer?sf59915364=1...
This Washington Post article cites 12 cases in which armed civilians (not police officers) either stopped or prevented mass shootings with their own concealed carry firearm. Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/...