Civilian Crime Stoppers
There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of well documented cases, in which armed civilians managed to prevent or stop criminals or terrorists from perpetrating a crime.
As police generally need at least minutes to arrive at a crime scene – after they are alerted that is, which can generally only occur after one has survived the initial attack – allowing reliable, trained and law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self defence would enable them to be their own first line of defence.
Criminals and terrorists do not care for gun laws and as such will always have an advantage over unarmed, law-abiding citizens, that could easily lead to injury or death for their victims.
In most situations, the mere threat of a firearm is already enough to dissuade an attacker from carrying on with his attack and scare him off – thus preventing violence or even death.
Criminal runs over pedestrian and attacks him with knife (graphic content!)
This video from Israel shows a Palestinian attacker first running over a pedestrian with his vehicle and then continuing to assault him with a knife.
The attack only ends when an armed civilian arrives on the scene and uses his handgun to neutralise the attacker.
Defensive Gun Uses on Reddit:
- [2019/04/20] Cleveland (OH) pizza shop employee shot during robbery returns fire, shoots suspect
- [2019/04/20] Law of Self Defense: Man Shoots Two Threatening Trespassers, Charged with Murder (Seward, AK)
- [Various] The Armed Citizen® April 19, 2019
- [2019/04/19] St. Roch man shoots person who police say was trying to steal his generator (New Orleans, LA)
- [2019/04/19] Jurors acquit shooter, find he acted in self-defense (Coeur d’Alene, ID)
- [2019/04/18] 'You picked the wrong one': Warner Robins (GA) car salesman points pistol at angry customer
- [2019/04/18] Concealed carry license holder, suspected robber fatally shoot each other (Chicago, IL)
- [2019/04/17] Navy veteran who threatened woman with gun after approaching wrong apartment arrested (Winter Park, FL)
- [2019/04/17] Man shot woman who had mace and Taser because he thought he was being robbed (Houston, TX)
- [2019/04/17] Woman shoots, kills dog after it attacks 9-year-old nephew (Chicago, IL)
- [2019/04/16] Weakley Co. shot and killed after attempting to break into ex-girlfriend's home (Dresden, TN)
- [2019/04/17] Suspect shot while trying to rob Metro PCS on the Southside (Jacksonville, FL)
- [2019/04/17] Burglar Shot By East Pasadena (CA) Homeowner
- [2019/04/17] Bradley Co. (TN) man shoots dog he says was trying to attack neighbors' children on trampoline
- [2019/04/17] Man shot and killed in Springfield (FL) was pointing loaded gun at boss
“Enter: Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming. Each state enacted permitless carry in 2003, 2010, and 2011, respectively. And according to data from the FBI’s “Crime in the United States” report, it’s clear that none of the aforementioned states experienced an increase in the number of murders — including handgun murders — after enacting permitless carry.” (June 2017) Source: https://medium.com/@NRA/why-you-dont-need-to-freak-out-over-permitless-carry-1a3709355897?sf85564039=1...
Some evidence suggests that permit-holding is increasing about 75% more quickly among minorities than among whites.” Crime Prevention Research Center, May 2017 Source: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170526/concealed-carrying-hits-new-high-underscores-need-for-national-law...
A concealed carrier in Memphis, TN came to the aid of a robbery victim who had already been beaten to the ground by the suspect. The armed good Samaritan drew his handgun on the robber who immediately stopped his attack and fled in a vehicle. Nothing was stolen from the victim. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/24/armed-good-samaritan-runs-off-terrified-robber/?sf72938684=1...
An unidentified Nashville, TN man successfully defended himself and others during a sneaker store robbery. He managed to hit and scare off all three armed robbers with his handgun after they stormed into the store without warning and opened fire. (April 2017) Source: https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/21/nashville-gunfighter-takes-three-armed-robbers-single-handedly/?sf72262385=1...
A Glendale, AZ man managed to get a hold of his handgun after he was attacked by two men with a hammer and succeeded in scaring them off by threatening them with the firearm. (March 2017) Source: http://www.abc15.com/news/crime/police-glendale-victim-with-gun-scares-off-suspect-with-hammer?sf59915364=1...
This Washington Post article cites 12 cases in which armed civilians (not police officers) either stopped or prevented mass shootings with their own concealed carry firearm. Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/...